Autism Awareness

02.04.2014 was World Autism Awareness day and April is National Autism Awareness Month in the USA





In my setting, I work with many children and adolescents with High Functioning Autism and Asperger Syndrome. I enjoy and treasure every day of working with these interesting, entertaining, intriguing and amazing young people.  Even though they all have the same diagnosis of ASD or Asperger Syndrome, they are all wonderful individuals, with their own personalities and it's fair to say, I'm never bored!


Yet, I am often shocked and disappointed to hear that people outside of my place of work know very little about Autism at all.   When I talk to parents at school, they regularly tell me that other people think their child is being difficult on purpose and that parents should be firmer and they'll "grow out of it".  There's a lack of understanding about this condition in our society and for many children, young people and adults with an ASD, every day can be a struggle. But with the right support and care, it doesn't have to be that way.


With around 700,000 people in the UK alone having some form of Autism, it's about time we give this condition increased publicity and work towards ensuring every child, young person and adult with ASD gets the support and care they need and deserve.


The theme on World Autism Awareness day was "light it up blue"; I wore my favourite blue dress and blue scarf, and had painted my nails (and was pleased that I avoided looking like a Smurf!) It's only a little way to boost awareness, but it helps. Hopefully, the publicity from World Autism Awareness Day will continue long after this week, and we will see some changes in the public perception and in Government policies/initiatives.


Help spread the word....
Nikki over at Melonheadz Illustrations has created some wonderful, free Autism Awareness Month graphics (one of which is on my sidebar!). Go grab yours now!

and the UK's National Autistic Society has produced this information video which has some lovely, easily accessible information about Autism, and their website is full of useful information too.






What did you do for World Autism Awareness day?

No comments

Back to Top