Interactive Prepositions Book and Activity Pack

Well, this has finally happened! I've finally made an Interactive Book! Yay!!
I've been thinking about making one for a while now. But never quite felt like my ideas made a nice book. Then, the other day I was just looking through my clip art thinking of ideas and I saw my lovely Spring Chicks from Educlips.  The sun was shining, and the snow was melting (thankfully!)- and it gave me an idea!  A spring-ish themed interactive book! Hoorah! (I know spring is a while away still, but who can resist a sweet spring chick?!)

I've been working on prepositions for a while now with some of my younger students.  We've mastered 'on', 'in', 'under' and 'behind'. We're now onto 'next to'- and still keep referring to it as "there".  We've been using our 'Monkeying Around' prepositions cards,  as well as real toys and objects, which have been great, but I wanted something else to use too.  So, I thought a nice interactive book would be ideal... An opportunity to keep recapping the prepositions we know, and a chance to practice the new ones in a different way. (Plus a great way to keep developing our reading!) 

After I'd made the book, I decided to add in some worksheets and activities too, to help with carry-over of the knowledge. My students love using dry-erase markers on laminated worksheets (I'm not sure why, but it's incredibly fun...?). So I've laminated the worksheets and we use those after we've been looking at the books. I've also sent copies home for homework; parents have loved them too!

Here's what it looks like when it's fully made up:




and this is how I made it....

I printed out all the pages, then cut them out (directions are in the pack).


I then cut out all of the small visual aids. I left page 9 whole, as that forms the back page of the book. It's also the place where the cards are stored. 

After cutting it all up, I backed them (for extra durability) then laminated all the pieces and pages.  I love cutting out and laminating. I think there's something quite relaxing about it.  Does anyone else feel like that? Or am I just weird?! haha!


I then cut out all those individual pieces again, and stuck velcro on the back of each piece, on the squares of each page, and on the spaces on the back page.

After I'd done all that prep, I assembled the book together.  I hole punched the pages (using a two-hole punch) and then fixed it together with a treasury tag, like so...


After it was all assembled, I tested it out...


It's so fun to use!  I've used it a few times in therapy already, and the kids love it! One of my students said
"He's such a silly chick.. he gets in all sorts of places. What would his mummy say?". 
This made me laugh and right then I knew it was going to be a fun book to use!
The same student then asked if I'd make one using tractors and trucks... so that might be a future book!!


As I mentioned earlier, I also made some worksheets to go along with the book.  These have been great for practising the skill and for homework. 
Here's a preview of the worksheets...

 



Anyway, I hope you like the look of this book! It was fun to make and I think it looks really cute. 
If you like the look of it, it's in our TPT store here.


What do you like to use to teach prepositions? I'd love to hear! Comment below! :)

No comments

Back to Top