My SLP Story



We all have our own reasons for the career paths we have chosen, the choices we have made and what led us to become Speech and Language Therapists.  Well, today I'm linking up with The Frenzied SLPs to share my story about why I became a Speech and Language Therapist!


I had always known I wanted to be in a profession that helped people.  I loved the idea of doing a job that I knew was making a difference to other people's lives.  Initially I wanted to study Medicine and become a doctor; all through my teenage years I made academic choices that would set me up nicely for a career in Medicine- I studied chemistry and biology and even attended residential weeks at a local University, doing some taster sessions on their Medicine courses!  However while on one of these sessions, I learnt something new about myself, and I only learnt it while watching a very minor surgery... I am terribly squeamish! I have never been more embarrassed; surrounded by doctors, nurses and fellow students, the room went blurry and I slowly fell to the ground.  I then spent the rest of my week doing more practical things, such as sterilising the equipment and vehemently avoiding any medical theatre!

I felt lost.  I had spent years convincing myself that a career in Medicine was for me.  I was coming towards the time where I had to choose my university course and I had no idea what to study.  My college tutor suggested that I might like teaching.  It sounded like a good idea;  I like working with children, I like helping others and I like making a difference.  Perfect.  A career in teaching it is then!

I set off all excitedly getting all the work experience opportunities I could! I volunteered in nurseries, pre-schools and special schools, I stayed late to do after school clubs and began researching universities where I could do a teaching degree.  I had been doing some 1:1 work with a child while on work experience at a local school for children with complex special educational needs.  I wasn't entirely sure what it was, but we were having fun practising words and colouring in some pictures.  Then, his teacher came up to me and said "Thanks for helping with his Speech Therapy work, you're really good at it".  I had no idea what "Speech Therapy" was, but I was hooked. After school that day I asked her a bit more about what his work was about, who this "SLT" was and what on earth they did!  It sounded wonderful.  I was instantly convinced! A career in Speech and Language Therapy was what I was going to do...  I went straight home that night, told my parents and started looking at university courses.  By the end of the evening, I had selected the universities I wanted to visit and my parents and I had booked onto the course open days.  From that moment on, I never looked back.  My A-Levels were just what I needed to get on the courses, all of my medical and educational work experience placements gave me plenty of relevant experience and I just knew it was the right choice.

Now, 5 years into the career, I've never had a day where I think I made the wrong choice.  I love the challenges I face everyday, I thoroughly enjoy working with and learning from my colleagues and the I love helping so many different children and families.
I know our career can be very challenging at times, but I truly love what I do and I'm so grateful that I found it so early on in my life!





What made you become an SLP? I'd love to hear about your journey!  Comment below or link up with The Frenzied SLPs!

14 comments

  1. I love your story! Isn't it funny how our experiences sometimes overrule our plans? It sounds like you found the perfect career!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I know, I had wanted to be a doctor for so long, but being an SLT is definitely the perfect career for me! :)

      Delete
  2. I love hearing all the stories from different speech paths about their journeys. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great! Such a good idea for a link up! I'm going sit and read through them all when I get chance later this week- can't wait! :)

      Delete
  3. Great story! Glad you chose speech language pathology!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story! Love how everything lined up just right for you to be an SLP!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- it all worked out in the end! I love the decision I made! :)

      Delete
  5. You've brought your scientific mind to our field to help students communicate! Wonderful! I'm glad you love being an SLP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda! :) Being an SLT was definitely the best decision in the end! :)

      Delete
  6. What a fun story! I love your enthusiasm. I can relate to "squeamish"! My mom really wanted me to think about medicine... but I got dizzy at the sight of blood- figured that would never work! Funny, as I get older, that reaction has lessened. Still, glad you joined the ranks as an SLT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisette! Funny isn't it!? I had never really felt squeamish before but it all became a little too much- the blood, the heat, the smell... no no, not for me thank you!! I now even feel funny when kids lose their teeth and show me! Not sure I'd have made the best doctor! hahah. Thanks- so am I! :)

      Delete

Back to Top